Wyze Cam comes with multiple LED indicator lights that have multiple interpretations. Frankly, I was confused as to what they meant in the beginning.
I realized the need for a complete article to address the LED indication of Wyze devices as there are surely more users like me searching for the same.
If your Wyze Cam is showing a red light, it means that the device is powered on and initialized. Flashing red means the device is ready to connect, flashing red and blue means connection is in process, and flashing blue indicates successful connection and finishing setup. Solid blue means the device is working properly.
These indicators have multiple meanings depending on the context during the indication. So keep reading to identify what your context is and what the LED indication for it means.
Solid Red Light on Wyze Camera
A solid red light that is not blinking means that your Wyze cam is powered on and still initializing.
But if solid red is shown after you have powered on and made a successful connection, then it could be either because you are watching the live stream or it is actively recording an alarming video.
Check whether you are using the power cable and wall plug that came packaged with your Wyze Cam.
If you are NOT, try switching to the brand's cable and wall plug and see if this resolves the issue.
If you are already using the power cable and wall plug that came along with the camera, try using a different one.
If the device works using a different power cable and wall plug, contact Wyze support.
Include your order number and shipping address in addition to any troubleshooting steps you've tried when you contact Wyze support.
If your Wyze Cam shows red light after a firmware update or you updated your Wyze cam after it flashed red light, you might have to flash the firmware of your device with a microSD card.
Update Wyze Cam
Wyze releases periodic updates and patches for optimal functionality and bug resolution.
It is paramount to update security protocols regularly to keep feeds secure, especially for products in home security.
So update your Wyze devices whenever there is new firmware released by the company.
You can update your Wyze Cam with or without using the Wyze app.
To update your Wyze Cam through your Wyze app, do the following:
1. This method requires that you have already connected or added your Wyze Cam to the Wyze app.
2. Once you have added your Wyze Cam to your Wyze app, go to 'Account'.
3. Open the Firmware update tab and find the Wyze device you wish to update.
4. Next to the device you wish to update, there should be a clickable option labeled 'Update'.
5. If you cannot find this 'Update' button, then it is indicative of the fact that your Wyze device is running the latest available firmware.
6. Once the update is complete, exit the app and check if your issue persists.
If you want to manually update your Wyze Cam, take note of these two points:
- Download the software for your Wyze device here. Download the specific version of firmware that is made for your device.
- It is recommended that you use a microSD card with 32GB capacity in the FAT32 format when performing this manual update.
Follow these steps to manually update your Wyze Cam:
1. If you are using Windows 10, right-click on the downloaded file and select Extract All. If you are a Mac user, drag and drop the file, and put it on the root directory of your microSD card.
2. The file name should be renamed specifically for each device.
3. Turn your Wyze Cam off and insert the SD card into the slot.
4. Plug in the USB cable to your Cam.
5. Press and hold the setup button for 3-6 seconds till the LED indicator is solid blue. Note that this 'solid blue' is different from the normal blue color seen on the indicator, as the solid blue is a result of the simultaneous lighting up of the blue and yellow light.
6. Once this color is shown, let go of the setup button.
7. Wait for 4-5 minutes for your Wyze Cam to finish the update process. Once the process is complete, the Cam will reboot and the light status will change during this time.
8. You can update or check for updates for the Wyze app in the Play store or App store.
Once the update is complete, check if an update has resolved the LED indicator functionality.
Wyze Camera Flashing Red Light
If your Wyze Cam is flashing red light, it means that the device is ready to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Some users have also reported that their Wyze Cam gets stuck on Ready to Connect, but the good news is that some basic troubleshooting steps can fix this issue.
If you have already established the connection and the Wyze Cam is flashing red, it could be because the siren is being sounded.
Flashing red is also indicative of an error state, such as an incorrect QR code, a connection that has timed out, or a network encryption method that is not supported.
If the camera returns to flashing red but never reconnects then you will have to set the camera up as a new device.
In the Wyze app, tap Home then the + plus sign. Then tap Add Device > Cameras and select your camera. Follow the prompts to set up your camera again.
If your Wyze Cam LED indicator is flashing red in a very quick fashion, power cycle your Wyze Cam to resolve this issue.
Power Cycle your Wyze Cam
Power cycling is the process of doing a soft reset of your device. Nine times out of ten, power cycling can fix issues with a device as it resets the device and its connections.
To power cycle your Wyze Cam, do the following:
- Unplug the camera from the power source either by disconnecting the cable at the power source or at the Wyze Cam end.
- Once disconnected, wait for 5 to 10 seconds for the device to completely discharge.
- Then plug your Wyze Cam back into the power source and allow the device to reinitialize.
You have successfully power cycled your Wyze Cam. Try reconnecting with your network to check if doing a soft reset has solved your issue.
This troubleshooting step is also effective if your Wyze Cam cannot connect to local networks.
Wyze Camera Flashing Red and Blue Light
If your LED indicator is flashing both red and blue, this means the camera is trying to connect to the Wi-Fi, scanning the QR code, or upgrading with a microSD card.
This state is also indicative of an error state. It could mean that the network has disconnected.
If you have tried multiple times to try to reconnect to the network but this indicator is still being shown, you will have to do both of the troubleshooting steps described above.
Power cycle your device and try to reconnect to the network. If the device is still unable to reconnect. Then you have to set up your Wyze Cam as a new device.
Instructions for both these troubleshooting methods are described in detail above.
No Status Light Indication on Wyze Cam? How to Fix
If your Wyze Cam LED indicator is not showing any status light, it could be because the Camera is in power-saving mode, has less than 20% charge or the Camera is charging.
It could also be due to either the LED indicator being turned off or it is indicative of power issues.
Your Wyze Cam is designed to give a voice prompt on pressing the SETUP button along with showing the LED status light.
If the voice prompt is being played on pressing the SETUP button but there is no LED indication, do the following steps to activate the LED indication.
Once setup is successful, navigate to Camera Settings and find Advanced Settings. In Advanced Settings, there is an option that you can toggle titled 'Camera Status Light'.
Manually toggle it on to turn the LED indicator on. Even if it was set to 'on', toggle it to turn it off and then back on again.
If your Camera is showing neither the LED status light nor plays the voice prompt on pressing the SETUP button, it is either a power issue or the device is defective.
You should try a different power cord and wall plug to try the device on.
Be sure to use the power cord and wall plug included with the camera along with a different set if you have one available.
Wyze customer support has so far in my experience been very receptive and responsible. They have responded to my every query so far and assisted in troubleshooting solutions.
Constant updates and patches so far have resolved most of my issues albeit a few lingering issues.
Most bugs, for me, are ones that can be resolved by a few troubleshooting solutions like the ones mentioned in this article.
Be on the constant lookout for updates and new patch releases for your device if you have some issues that remain unresolved.
You can always reach out to Wyze to report any issue that you cannot fix. In the event that you find that your device is in fact defective, Wyze will either initiate a refund or a replacement.
Although, ensure that you go through these solutions before you reach out to Wyze.
Hopefully, this article has given you a better understanding of the LED indicator status of Wyze Cams and solutions on how to resolve some common issues.
Have a good day!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why does my Wyze Cam have 4 red lights?
Wyze Cam has 4 LED infrared lights and the Pan version has 6 that is turned on when you enable Night Vision. In addition to that, the camera also has an infrared light filter that drops in front of the camera lens to view the video feed using infrared light.
How long does the Wyze battery last?
For about 10 or so 12-second recordings a day, the Wyze Cam Outdoor's rechargeable battery can last up to 3-6 months between each charge. With continuous use or scheduled recording, the battery can last up to 8-10 hours.
How long do Wyze sensors last?
The expected battery life of the sensors is 12 months with normal use. Based on environmental factors and use, the mileage may vary.
The comments are closed.