I have tried a few surveillance cams for monitoring activity around the house. By far, I find Wyze products the best of them all. The design is sleek and melds into the architecture of the house as well, and the Wyze app is well optimized and easy to use.
However, I faced connectivity issues with a couple of my Wyze Cam Pan versions. I found solutions to this problem after wading through a lot of websites and articles.
I made this troubleshooting guide so that you can fix connectivity issues on your Wyze Cam Pan.
If your Wyze Cam Pan is not connecting, power cycle the device, check the status of the network and ensure to connect to a 2.4 GHz network. You could also try resetting the Wi-Fi password to something simpler and disabling any network filters, IP masks, or VPNs. Factory resetting the Wyze camera could also work.
I’ll also walk you through a couple of other fixes in addition to the ones mentioned above that can fix Wyze Cam Pan connectivity issues.
Power Cycle Wyze Cam Pan
Power cycling is the process of doing a soft reset of your device. Most issues with a device are solved through a soft reset as it will reset the device and its connections.
For the same reason, power cycling is the most popular and effective solution you can try. Nine times out of ten, power cycling your Wyze Cam Pan will fix your connectivity issues.
To power cycle your Wyze Cam Pan, do the following:
- Unplug the camera from the power source either by disconnecting the cable at the power source or at the Wyze Cam Pan end.
- Once disconnected, wait for 5 to 10 seconds for the device to completely discharge.
- Then plug your Wyze Cam Pan back into the power source and allow the device to reinitialize.
You have successfully power cycled your Wyze Cam Pan. Try reconnecting with your network to check if doing a soft reset has solved your issue.
Check the Status of the Network
Sometimes, it is not necessarily the Wyze Cam Pan device's fault. It is embarrassing to troubleshoot your Cam for an hour and a half to realize that the fault lies with your own network.
To avoid this mess, make sure you check the status of your network. To do this, connect another device to your network.
If it is a mobile device, you can simply check if the device has connected to your network and whether you can access the internet.
Once connected to the network, go to the spot where you intend to keep the Wyze Cam Pan. Make sure the signal strength for the Wi-Fi network is sufficient.
You can also search on google for 'speed test' to check the speed of your network. Most speed tests give both download speed and upload speed.
For your Wyze Cam Pan functionality, both upload and download speed is important for the feed to be viewed in real-time with no latency on the Wyze App.
Make Sure to Connect to a 2.4 GHz Network
Wyze Cams are designed to be used on a 2.4 GHz network with a WPA/WPA2 protocol, except for Wyze Video Doorbell Pro, which has the capability to run on a 5 GHz band.
How to check which band your Wi-Fi network or router produces?
Most new routers are dual-band, which means that they have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. When you check for the Wi-Fi network on your device, there should be two networks available.
Make sure you select the 2.4 GHz band for your Wyze Cam Pan. Most single-band routers have a 2.4 GHz band.
Wyze devices cannot be connected to enterprise Wi-Fi networks, so keep that in mind. Enterprise WiFi networks are employed on business grounds.
Typically, they will have a landing page, sign-in portal, or require a browser to complete the connection. Wyze devices will not work on such networks.
To generalize, if the network requires not just an SSID but also a username, account name, and password, you will not be able to use Wyze Cam.
If you are facing connectivity problems even after connecting to a 2.4 GHz network, check if you are on a WPA/WPA2 protocol network.
Wyze devices do not connect to WEP protocol networks as they are much less secure than WPA/WPA2 protocol networks.
Most routers are programmed to be WPA/WPA2 protocol networks by default. To check the protocol of the network, follow the steps below.
On Android Devices
- Go to settings and open 'Wi-Fi and Network'.
- Select the network you are connected to and open the details.
- Here, you can see the security type of your network.
On iOS Devices
Unfortunately, if you are using an iOS device, you cannot check the security type of the network you are connected to. So you can try to figure it out using a PC or laptop.
On Windows Devices
- Open Settings and select 'Network and Internet'.
- Here, you can view the Wi-Fi network security type.
On a macOS
Hold the 'Option' key down and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the toolbar. This will show the network details including the security protocol of the network.
If you find that the router that you have uses WEP protocol and want to change it to WPA/WPA2 protocol, then you should find the exact brand and model of your router for instructions to change the protocol.
If you are using the router provided by your Internet Service provider, you can contact them to change the security protocol.
Reset the Wi-Fi Password
Some additional tips to keep in mind regarding the password that you have set for your Wi-Fi network and the Wyze app password:
- They should not be the same as this could cause an internal conflict.
- Also, remember that the password is case-sensitive.
- Check for space at the beginning and end of the password.
- Change the Wi-Fi password to something simpler and make sure that the network name does not include any special characters like / * " $ % # etc.
Disable VPNs, Network Filters, and IP Masks
If you have enabled any additional filters or masks for your network, it might result in Wyze Cam Pan connectivity issues.
IP masks are generally used to conceal the unique IP address allocated to you.
If you are using any service to hide or mask your IP address, then you should disable it before trying to connect with Wyze Cam Pan.
Network Filters are a feature of routers that block excess devices once a limit has been reached for a particular router.
Only if the registration of the device with the router is complete will the device be granted access to the internet by the router. This filter is also called a MAC filter.
You can turn off this filter on your router through the router portal unless your router is an ISP-regulated device. In the event that it is so, contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance.
To turn off the MAC filter on your router, follow these exact steps:
- Access your router portal, and navigate to the Wireless settings option. Here, find the MAC filters or Network filters option.
- In the MAC filter tab, you can access the blocked list of devices. You can see the MAC addresses that are blocked by your router in this tab.
- Find the MAC address of your Wyze Cam Pan from the bottom of your device and cross-check this address with the list of addresses in the blocked list in the router portal. If you find that your device was in fact blocked, this has been the reason why you have been facing connectivity issues.
- You should be able to find an option to turn off the MAC address filter on the router portal page. The location of this option will vary depending on the brand of the router you are using.
Once you have turned off this filter, save the changes and exit the portal page. Restart your router and try connecting your Wyze Cam Pan to the network.
Additionally, if you have activated any VPN services, you should disable them as well. These could interfere with your device and potentially cause connection problems.
Update Wyze Cam Pan and the Wyze App
It is advisable to use your Wyze products with the latest firmware available.
As time and technology evolve, bugs and flaws in the current software start sprouting anew. All programmed devices require constant upkeep for smooth usage and functionality.
Since Wyze products are in the home security segment, it is crucial that their security protocols are top-notch. To keep your feeds secure, make sure that you are always using the latest firmware.
You can update your Wyze Cam Pan with or without using the Wyze app.
Updating Using Wyze App
This method requires that you have already connected or added your Wyze Cam Pan to the Wyze app.
Once you have added your Wyze Cam Pan to your Wyze app, go to 'Account'. Scroll to the device list and find Wyze Cam Pan. Next to it, there should be a clickable option labeled 'Update'.
If you cannot find this 'Update' button, then it is indicative of the fact that your Wyze Cam Pan is running the latest available firmware.
Once the update is complete, exit the app and check if your issue persists.
You can update your Wyze Cam Pan with or without the Wyze app.
Updating Without Using Wyze App
You can update your Wyze Cam Pan manually without using the Wyze app.
It is recommended that you use a microSD card with 32GB capacity in the FAT32 format when performing a manual update.
Then, follow these steps to update your Wyze Cam:
- Download the software for your Wyze Cam Pan here. Download the specific version of firmware that is made for your device.
- If you are using Windows 10, right-click on the downloaded file and select extract all. If you are a Mac user, drag and drop the file, and put it on the root directory of your microSD card.
- Change the file name to recovery_wcpv2.bin. Turn your Wyze Cam Pan off and insert the SD card into the slot. Plug in the USB cable to your Cam.
- Press and hold the setup button for 3-6 seconds till the LED indicator is solid blue. Once this color is shown, let go of the setup button.
- Note that this 'solid blue' is different from the normal blue shown by the LED indicator. The solid blue will be a result of the simultaneous lighting up of blue and yellow light making it appear to be a lighter blue.
- Wait for 4-5 minutes for your Wyze Cam Pan to finish the update process. Once the process is complete, the Cam will reboot and the light status will change during this time.
Make sure you constantly check for newer firmware releases to stay on top of security features by Wyze.
Factory Reset Wyze Cam Pan
If none of the solutions offered in this article has solved your issue, it might be time to contemplate factory resetting your Wyze Cam Pan.
Implementing a factory reset should only be done after you have exhausted all other options as it will remove any and all user-set settings to their factory defaults.
To do a factory reset of your Wyze Cam Pan, follow these tapes:
- First, plug the Cam into a power supply. If you have a microSD card inserted in your Cam, remove it.
- Press and hold the setup button located on the bottom of the device for at least 10 seconds. Wait at least 30 seconds for the factory reset process to begin.
- The factory reset process is indicated by the LED indicator turning from solid yellow to a blinking yellow.
This process can take up to 5 minutes to complete. Once the factory reset is done, your device is ready to be set up again.
Wyze offers a wide range of products capable of being utilized in different settings. They also have a segment of Wyze Cams that operate outdoors powered by solar energy.
The company was started by a team of 3 Amazon workers who found the home security segment to be lacking quality products at reasonable prices.
Their motto of "Being friends with Users" is very evident and reflected in their pricing of products and the official customer support offered.
Every electronic device faces bugs and issues over prolonged usage. The Wyze community is active and helps in bringing out common bugs and solutions to these bugs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use my Wyze Cam without connecting to the internet?
Yes, you can locally store your feed onto the microSD card of your Wyze Cam without relying on the network. To do so, you need to set the setting to record the video locally.
Can you use Wyze Cam without Wyze App?
No, you cannot use Wyze Cam without the Wyze app. Technically, you can set to store the feed locally but you cannot view this feed in real-time or use any other app to view the feed due to security restrictions.
Can I use Wyze Cam in my car?
Yes, you can use Wyze Cam in your car. The best version of Wyze Cam for this purpose is the Wyze Cam v2 combined with the specialized software titled Wyze Car app can turn your Wyze Cam into a Car cam.
The comments are closed.