The push-to-talk feature on Blink Cams is a killer feature. But what will you do when the speakers on the Cam no longer work? Let's find out.
Just recently, my Blink camera speakers stopped working. So I went online, did some research, and eventually found a few fixes that could solve the issue.
If your Blink camera speaker is not working, make sure you are using the push-to-talk button correctly. As the next step, enable permissions for the Blink app, check your internet and cable connections, and power cycle the camera. If these fixes do not work, factory reset the Blink Cam.
Here's a brief account of why Blink cam speakers cease to work:
|Scenario||Cause and Fixes|
|Cannot hear anything through the speakers||Unstable connection; check for issues with the network, power cycle the Router|
|'Push to Talk' button not working||Ensure required permissions are enabled on the device; check and refresh the Blink app|
|The Audio gets cut off||Software glitch, connectivity issue; power cycle the Blink setup|
|Other scenarios||Factory Reset the Cam and Sync module; contact Blink customer services|
This is a detailed guide on how to execute each of these troubleshooting steps.
Use the Push-To-Talk Button Correctly
The Blink Camera's push-to-talk feature is similar to how a walkie-talkie operates.
You can speak through the Camera and can hear from the Camera as well via a microphone for a two-way conversation.
On speaking after holding down the 'TALK' button, your voice should be broadcasted from the Blink app to the Camera set up.
Here's how to use the two-way audio feature on Blink:
1. On the Blink App, navigate to live view for the Camera you want to access using the button located on the bottom left.
2. Once you are in live view, a hold-to-talk button should be available in the bottom center.
3. Press and hold this button then wait for 1-2 seconds and start speaking.
The recipient can now hear your voice through the Blink Cam
On Blink Video Doorbell or XT2 Camera, the speakers are located at the bottom, and for the Mini, the audio comes from the top. The speakers are located at the front on Blink indoor gen2 and outdoor models.
Blink recommends that you release the 'hold to talk' button whenever you are done speaking instead of holding it down for the entire duration of the conversation.
The live view session lasts for only 5 minutes after which you will have to choose and start another live view session.
You can also record the audio hence captured by the Blink Cam along with the video feed since Blink Cams record audio and video.
Enable Permissions for Blink App on iOS/Android
The Blink app on your iOS or Android phone plays the primary role in controlling the audio output from the Blink Camera.
In order for you to successfully use the Blink Camera speaker, permission for microphone access should be enabled on your iOS or Android device for the Blink App.
Allowing microphone access to the Blink App allows Blink to register your audio and broadcast it to the Blink Camera speaker.
To check if you have enabled access to the microphone on your device, follow the steps below:
For iOS devices:
- Go to 'Settings'
- From the App list, select Blink App
- Here, you can see if the microphone is enabled or not. If not enabled, toggle it ON.
For Android Devices:
- Go to 'Settings' > 'Apps'
- Select the Blink App from the list of apps
- Tap on 'App Permissions'
- Here, you can see the enabled and denied permissions for the app. Ensure that the microphone is enabled.
Check Internet Connection and Cables
A commonly overlooked solution to this problem is checking the internet connectivity and making sure the cables are securely fixed.
An unstable internet connection can go a long way in terms of issues with monitoring Cams. One such example is Clip backup failing on Blink.
You can check your internet connection by accessing a website or by playing a video. You should also run a speed test on your device to check the quality of your connection.
Blink recommends an internet connection with at least 2 Mbps for proper two-way communication using the Blink app.
The cables to the Blink Camera should be checked to ensure they are secure and the power supply is sound.
Seal up any exposed wiring, especially if you have set up the Blink Camera outdoors as it could potentially cause corrosion and lead to malfunctions.
If your Blink Cam won't connect to WiFi, reboot the Router/modem and then try again.
Remove and Reinstall the Blink App
You can also try deleting and reinstalling the Blink App on your iOS or Android device to make sure that the issue is not with your smartphone.
To do so, follow these steps:
1. Tap and hold on Blink Home Monitor app icon on the Home screen.
2. Click on Remove/Uninstall.
3. Confirm the selection by tapping Delete.
Reinstall the app from the application store and check for the issue now.
You can also try this fix for resolving other Blink cam problems such as the Blink Cam won't connect to Sync module issue.
Keep in mind that you will have to enable access to the microphone on your smartphone when you set up the Blink App.
Power Cycle the Blink Camera and Sync Module
You could be facing the speaker issue due to software issues, which also happens to be a prime reason for Blink Photo Capture to fail.
If that is in fact the case, you will benefit from power cycling your Blink Camera and the Sync Module.
Power cycling is simply the process of executing a soft reset of the device, allowing it to reconfigure itself.
To power cycle your Blink Camera, follow the steps below:
- Unplug your Blink Camera from its cradle and remove the back plate
- Unplug the batteries
- Wait for 10-15 seconds
- Power your Blink Camera back up by plugging in the batteries
- Try using the two-way speaker function to check if the power cycle has fixed the issue
Removing the batteries from the Cam is also a clever way to disable Blink cams without the app.
To reset the Sync Module, follow the steps below:
- Unplug the power cable from the Sync Module
- Wait for 10-15 seconds
- Plug the power cable back into the Sync Module
- Give the device a minute to configure. Watch out for the green and blue solid lights.
Reset Blink Cam and Sync Module
If you have attempted all the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this article and still can't get over the issue, you should consider resetting your Blink Camera.
Although it is a bit more work than the other steps, it can solve the speaker issue.
Factory resetting your Blink system means that you will be resetting the entire set of user-defined, network, and stock settings of the Cam to its factory defaults.
But you can't reset a Blink Cam just like that.
Blink Cameras connect to the internet by employing a hub called the 'Sync Module'. Pairing Cam with the sync module allows you to record multiple Blink Cams simultaneously.
So you may want to reset the Sync Module to fix this issue.
Although, the Blink Mini Camera has a dedicated reset button capable of factory resetting the Camera. For all other versions, you can factory reset the Sync Module to reset the Blink Camera.
To factory reset the Sync Module, follow the steps below:
1. Locate the reset button near the USB port.
2. Press and hold this button until the LED indicator turns red. This process takes around 15-30 seconds.
3. A successful reset is indicated by one solid green light and one flashing blue light.
4. This will put the Sync Module in 'set-up mode' meaning all connected Cameras will go offline.
In order to use the Cameras again, delete the Sync Module in the Blink App and reinstall it.
To delete and reinstall the Sync Module in the Blink App, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Blink app and tap on the 'Sync Module' banner.
2. Select 'Delete Sync Module'.
3. Scan or enter the module serial number.
4. Tap on 'Delete'.
5. Navigate back to the home screen and click on the '+' icon.
6. Select 'Sync Module'.
7. Scan or enter the module serial number once more.
8. Select your Blink System.
9. Tap on 'Discover Device'.
10. Tap on 'Join' and select 'Done'.
To factory reset the Blink Mini Camera, follow the steps below:
- Locate the dedicated reset button located on the bottom of the Blink Mini Camera.
- Long press the reset button for 5-10 seconds.
- Wait till you see both red and blue LED indicators flash rapidly and let go of the button.
- Once the blue light starts to blink slowly, it is an indication that the Camera is ready to be added to a system.
- You can delete and reinstall it in the Blink App similar to the process for the Sync Module.
Contact Blink Support
If a factory reset could not resolve the issue, you should contact Blink support for resolving the issue.
The audio issue has been known for a while for Android devices running version 12 where the audio is either breaking or cuts off with live view in the Blink App version 6.6.0.
Blink claims that their App team is working on a solution to fix this issue.
If you feel like you are one of the users facing this issue, raise a ticket with Blink support as they might already have set up an infrastructure or workaround to fix the issue.
And there you have it, a comprehensive guide on how to fix the speaker issue on Blink Cams.
Feel free to contact the customer services of Blink if none o the fixes mentioned here seem to work for you.
Hopefully, some of the troubleshooting methods that worked for me have helped you as well.
Have a good day!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do all Blink cameras have two-way audio?
The Blink Indoor Cameras do not have a two-way audio feature. All Blink Cameras are capable of recording audio and video.
Does Blink Doorbell work without Wi-Fi?
Blink Doorbell cannot operate without an active internet connection. It requires a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection to send images, notifications, and live stream content. Blink systems require an internet connection with at least 2 Mbps upload speed for proper functionality.
How long do blink batteries last?
Blink video doorbell, outdoor and indoor generation 2, and XT2 Camera batteries can last up to 2 years.
You May Also Enjoy Reading
- What is IR Intensity On Blink Camera?
- Blink Camera Not Recording At Night: How To Fix 
- Can You Talk Through Blink Camera? Here is How!
- Blink Basic Plan vs Plus: Which is Better?
- Blink Camera Keeps Triggering: How to Fix 
- How to Tell if Arlo Camera Is Recording? Easy Trick!
- Blink Mini RTSP: How-To Guide 
- How Do Blink Cameras Work? We Did the Research