Discrepancies with pairing have long lost their novelty since the very first smart gadgets.
But the 'Accessory Not Found' status definitely demands attention since it's so unlike Nanoleaf to put up such an issue.
Nanoleaf products have revamped the Home aesthetics game with their innovative cyberpunk-esque lighting solutions.
But they're in no way perfect, and one should expect roadblocks along the way, such as the 'Accessory Not Found' message popping up while searching for your device on the Home/Nanoleaf app.
Nanoleaf Accessory Not Found message pops up on the app due to issues with the network and the app itself. Check and make sure that your network is performing well. Update your Nanoleaf/Home app to its current version. Faulty device Controllers can also hinder the pairing process and trigger the message.
Here are the many troubleshooting steps to get you started with fixing this issue on your Nanoleaf device:
Refresh the App and the Nanoleaf Device
Bugs and errors may be the source of most issues troubling the Nanoleaf app.
Capable of making their way into your device through a recent update or other extraneous ways, bugs can hinder the pairing process and trigger the Accessory Not Found message.
These bugs can also sneak their way into your Nanoleaf device and cause problems from the device side of things.
Perhaps the simplest way to get rid of such miscreants is to refresh your device/app.
A refresh will reinvigorate your device by disposing of any temporal inconsistencies.
One perfect method of refreshing your system under such circumstances is through a power cycle test.
By performing a power cycle test, you also get rid of the static charges that may have been piling up on your system. Hence, improving the system's efficiency as well.
Start the process by unplugging your Nanoleaf Controller off the PSU. Leave it idle for a few seconds (a minute will also do).
Plug back in the power supply and switch on the Controller. Check for the issue now.
As for restarting the app, on your Apple device, close the Nanoleaf/Home app and switch OFF the device by pressing and holding the power button.
Slide the bar as indicated on the screen to do so.
After a few seconds, power back ON the device and open the app. Try searching for the Nanoleaf device once again.
On Android devices, refresh the Nanoleaf app by executing a Force Stop.
Follow these steps to do so:
1. Open the Settings menu and navigate to the Apps tab.
2. Search and open the Nanoleaf app tab.
3. Tap on Force stop.
Open the app once again after a few seconds. You could also force-stop the app by tapping and holding the app icon on the home screen.
Check for Issues With the Network
Many users have reported connection-related issues such as Nanoleaf-accessory-not-found error or Nanoleaf keeps disconnecting. The network may well be the defining factor for these issues.
Ignore the requirements, and you are bound to experience issues with pairing.
Talking about the requirements, you should satisfy a couple of prerequisites before moving on to the pairing process.
Make sure you have satisfied the following conditions when in doubt:
- Connect both devices (Nanoleaf and Host) to the same network.
- Connect only to the 2.4 GHz band.
- Enable Multicast/Broadcast and UPnP (if available) on your Router.
Even after ensuring these conditions, if you experience issues with pairing, check the status of your network.
Straggling network speeds, peaking latency, wavering signal strength, etc., can all make your network underperform.
A speed test will help you evaluate the various parameters of your network.
You can run the speed test through the various apps available on your host devices' app store or run it directly from the browser.
Once you complete the test, you will get to know the status of your network.
If you notice anything unusual with the characteristics, may it be with speed/latency/signal strength, it's highly likely to cause issues on your network.
If that's the case, you better refresh your network.
The selfsame power cycle test as before will suffice.
Unplug your Router/Modem from power and plug it back in after a few seconds.
Power ON the router and run the speed test once more on the network. If everything seems alright, connect your Nanoleaf device to the network and check for the issue now.
If the issue persists, check these fixes instead:
If you have a multiband router capable of hosting both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz network bands, make sure that both have different SSIDs.
Refresh the Network Connection on Nanoleaf
Aside from refreshing the router, why not reset the network on your Nanoleaf device as well?
Nanoleaf has made things for you and me easy by allowing the user to refresh the network settings independently rather than relying on a soft refresh or a hard refresh.
In doing so, the device will reset all your network preferences and effectively remove any network-related inconsistencies.
Luckily, refreshing the network on your Nanoleaf is quite simple. Here's how to do so:
- First, ensure that your device is powered ON.
- Then, press the Power and the Brighten button alternatively on the Nanoleaf Controller five times (10 in total).
- Upon successfully doing so, the Power button LED on the Controller will flash Solid White indicating the network has been reset and is ready to be configured.
Connect Nanoleaf back to the network and check for the issue once again.
On some Nanoleaf products, like the Shapes series, press the Toggle/Select button instead of the Brighten button to refresh the network.
Check and Update Nanoleaf App
Outdated firmware ranks top among the most probable reasons for connectivity-related issues on Nanoleaf.
Also, outdated software versions weaken the system firewall against newer bugs and errors, unequivocally allowing them to penetrate the system more swiftly.
Avoid such mishaps by frequently checking and updating your Nanoleaf app.
Nanoleaf Devs do frequently come out with updates addressing issues with bugs and errors associated with their products.
The process is quite simple.
Follow these steps on your smart device to update the Nanoleaf App:
1. Open the Play Store and search for the Nanoleaf App.
2. Tap open the Nanoleaf app tile.
3. Select Update (If available).
Complete the update and open the app once more. Check for the issue now.
1. Open the App Store and tap on the Account icon towards the top right.
2. Scroll down to the Available Updates section.
3. Locate the Nanoleaf App and click on the Update option.
Wait for the update to finish.
On iOS devices, you may as well check and update the Home app along with the Nanoleaf app.
HomeKit forms an essential part of the whole Nanoleaf pairing process.
Hard Reset Your Nanoleaf Device
Finally, if none of these checks and fixes seem to alleviate the issue, hard reset your Nanoleaf device.
Perhaps the ultimate fix for most issues on Nanoleaf, a hard reset will wipe your device clean all the temporal inconsistencies troubling it.
A hard reset will also remove/reset all your personal preferences and the custom scenes that you've set on your device.
The process does take its sweet bit of time, so keep that in mind.
With that said, follow these steps to hard reset your Nanoleaf device:
1. Disconnect and Remove your Device from the Nanoleaf/Home app.
2. Unplug the Controller from the PSU.
3. Then, connect back the power supply while pressing down the Power and the Brighten Buttons.
Press the following buttons instead of the Brighten button if you have one of these products:
- Canvas series: Dim Button.
- Lines series: Reset button (alone).
- Shapes series: Toggle/Select button.
4. Continue to press and hold the buttons until the LEDs turn ON.
5. Release the buttons and wait for the LEDs to start pulsing.
6. Pulsing LEDs indicate the progress of the reset process.
7. Once the process completes, the device will start to flicker through the various colors.
Now you can reconfigure the device and pair it to the app once again.
To hard reset the Nanoleaf Essential Bulb, follow these steps instead:
1. Switch the bulb OFF and turn it back ON after 3 seconds.
2. Then, after no more than 1 second, turn it back OFF.
Repeat these steps five times. Successfully doing so will result in the Bulb flashing RED three times after the 5th time.
Unable to find the accessory even before completing the pairing process is, by all means, a serious issue. I have also faced another very similar issue on my Nanoleaf: Nanoleaf accessory already added.
Fortunately, there exists a truckload of fixes for these issues.
But hardware problems can also cause pairing issues on Nanoleaf devices. The Controller of your Nanoleaf device can take the brunt in this case.
Replace the older Controller with a new one and check if you were able to rectify the issue.
You might as well contact Nanoleaf customer support by now for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I fix Nanoleaf not pairing?
As a preliminary fix, try soft resetting the device. A soft reset will reset the WiFi settings and saved pairing configs without affecting custom scenes or personal preferences.
Follow these steps on your Nanoleaf device to soft reset it:
1. While powered ON, press and hold the Reset/Power button+Brighten buttons for about 15 seconds or until the status LEDs start flashing.
2. Wait for the LEDs to become stable and flash solid White.
Try pairing your device now.
How do I pair my Nanoleaf with my phone?
Follow these steps to pair your Nanoleaf device with the Nanoleaf app:
1. Open the Nanoleaf app and swipe open the left side menu.
2. Click on My Devices and press the + icon.
3. Select the model of your device from the list.
4. On iOS devices, you will now be prompted to scan the QR code of your Nanoleaf device. On Android devices, you can now choose your preferred mode of pairing: QR code/NFC tap/manual entry.
Complete the process by following the onscreen prompts.
Can you use Nanoleaf without WiFi?
You can use your Nanoleaf without connecting to a network or pairing with the device. Either use a Nanoleaf Remote, the Controller, or touch controls to make it work. However, without pairing your device, you won't be able to set up custom scenes and other features on your Nanoleaf.