Software issues are nothing new on Smart TVs. But the Vizio remote blinking Red is not a very common incident.
I personally enjoy my Vizio TV. They are easy to use and provide fantastic picture quality at an affordable price. Not to mention the remote, quirky and easy to maneuver.
And that is precisely why when my Vizio TV remote started blinking red out of the blue, I had to find a solution for it.
Vizio remote flashing red light indicates battery issues or sync issues with the TV.
If your Vizio TV remote starts blinking red, first, power cycle the remote and the TV. Ensure the remote sensor is working properly and that there are no obstacles between the remote sensor and the TV. Finally, if none of the steps work, try factory resetting the TV and the remote.
Power Cycle the Vizio Remote and the TV
Power cycling your Vizio TV and the remote should be the first step you do if you encounter issues with either the software or the hardware.
It is easy to perform and provides a quick fix to most problems on Vizio TV like Vizio TV flickering or if Vizio TV is flashing different colors.
Power cycling in simple terms means restarting your device. Power cycling your TV and remote will help it reload its firmware and help clear any bugs or glitches.
To power cycle your TV remote:
- Remove the batteries from the back of the remote
- Press every button on the remote at least once. This will help clear any residual charges on the remote and identify buttons that are stuck if any
- Reinsert the batteries into the remote. Make sure to reinsert them the right way with the polarity matching with those indicated in the battery compartment of the remote.
Make sure that the batteries that you are using are free from wear and tear. If you have been running on old batteries, it's possible that they have run out of charge. In either case, we suggest you use newer batteries.
Power Cycle Vizio TV
To power cycle your Vizio TV:
- Disconnect your TV from the wall socket or power outlet
- Press and hold the power button on your TV for at least 15 seconds. This will help discharge the capacitors and clear off any residual charges
- If you can’t find the power button, just leave the TV unplugged for a minute
- Plug the TV back into the wall socket and power on your TV
Check if the remote works again. Power cycling your TV happens to also be a recommended fix for hardware issues such as Black Screen on Vizio TV.
Check for Issues with the Remote Sensor
Your remote communicates to your Vizio TV using an infrared sensor. Any problem with the sensor can lead to the remote malfunctioning.
Make sure to clean your remote sensor once in a while as it is possible for dust particles to settle on the sensor and cause signal interferences.
Make sure to check for any sensor damage. You can easily check for damage using your mobile phone camera.
To check the status of your remote sensor:
- Open your phone’s camera application
- Hold the remote in such a way that its IR sensor faces the camera
- Now press any button on the remote. If you see a bright red flashing light on your camera screen then your remote IR sensor is fine
- If you don’t see any flashing red light when you press the buttons on the remote then your remote sensor is defective
If your remote IR sensor is defective, we suggest you replace the remote.
Remove Obstacles from the Path of the Vizio Remote and the TV
Your remote sends an infrared beam and your TV captures it using its infrared sensor. There needs to be a direct and clear communication path between the two for an adequate response.
Make sure that your Vizio TV’s IR sensor is not blocked by any obstacles. IR rays cannot penetrate through solid objects easily, resulting in connection issues.
Both the TV remote and the TV should be within range of each other for optimum and smooth connection.
Vizio TVs normally have their IR sensor on the bottom left or bottom right
If you prefer to leave the plastic wrap on your remote, that might cause a problem too. Dust particles can settle on the plastic wrap and cause connection problems.
Make sure to clean the IR sensor on your TV once in a while.
Switch the Source on the Vizio Remote
Most models of the Vizio TV come with a remote that can be used to control multiple components like a soundbar, DVD, and so on.
The remote typically has a component switch that allows you to select the device you want to control.
If you are on such models and your remote stopped working out of the blue, then it's possible that you accidentally set it to a different component other than your TV.
An accidental button press on the component switch located on the top and bottom of the remote can cause this to happen.
All you need to do in such a case is to set your remote back to your TV. Switching the source may also come to your rescue for setting the right source for getting back to cable on Vizio TV.
For changing the component:
- Press the component button on the bottom of the remote
- Set your remote to the TV
Now you should be able to navigate your TV using your remote.
It is worth noting that if your Vizio TV remote has a different design or feature set, this solution may not be applicable.
In such cases, you may need to refer to the user manual or contact Vizio customer support for further assistance.
Factory Reset Vizio Remote and the TV
If none of the above steps work, you can try factory resetting your remote and your TV.
Factory resetting your Vizio TV will clear all of its saved data and settings including your apps and saved WiFi settings.
The device will be reset to its factory settings and you will have to set up the device as new again.
Make sure to note down your saved settings before factory resetting your TV.
Factory resetting could also be your answer for issues such as Vizio TV being stuck on wide mode.
To factory reset your Vizio remote:
- Remove the batteries from your remote
- Press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. This will help drain the residual charges and reset the internal circuitry
- Reinsert the batteries in the correct orientation as marked by the polarity symbols inside the battery compartment
How to Reset Vizio TV
It is easier to factory reset your Vizio TV using the remote since Vizio TVs do not have a reset button. That being said, there are several other ways to factory reset your TV.
If your Vizio TV has an input button, volume up and down button, then follow the steps down below to factory reset your TV
To factory reset your Vizio TV:
- Turn on your TV by plugging in or by pressing the power button on the back of the device
- Press and hold the Input button and Volume down button simultaneously for 15 seconds
- When prompted, press and hold the Input button for 10 seconds
If everything goes well then you should see the message: “Memory is being cleared. The device will reset shortly”
If your Vizio TV has a menu button and volume up and down buttons, then follow the steps below.
To factory reset your Vizio TV:
- Turn on your Vizio TV
- Press the Menu button to navigate to the menu and select the options
- Navigate using the Volume buttons and select the Reset and Admin option
- Select the Reset to Factory settings option
- Select Reset option
In case your Vizio TV has only a power button, then you can perform a factory reset using the Vizio SmartCast Mobile app.
The Vizio Smartcast app will enable you to use your smartphone as a remote.
The Vizio SmartCast Mobile app is not supported by all Vizio models. Make sure your TV supports the app before trying the step
To perform the factory reset using the Vizio SmartCast mobile app:
- Download the Vizio SmartCast Mobile app from the play store or app store
- Open the app and sign in to your Vizio account
- Search for nearby devices and then select your TV
- Now your TV will display a code. Enter the code into the app when prompted
- Now the app is connected to your TV and can operate as a remote
- Next, using your smartphone as a remote, navigate to the Settings
- Navigate to the System option
- Select Reset and Admin option
- Select Reset to factory default and then click on Reset
- Your TV will now start resetting
Now your TV should reset in a couple of minutes and the initial setup wizard will appear. Set up the device as new again and check if the problem persists.
Note: If you have parental controls set up on your device, then you will have to enter the pin to reset your device. If you have not set up parental controls then enter the default password of “0000”
At the end of the day, obstacles and interference may be the most plausible cause for issues with the Vizio remote.
Electronic gadgets that emit different signals can also cause interferences and cause your remote and TV to malfunction. Keep such gadgets away from your Vizio TV.
Also, check your remote for any liquid damage. If your buttons require a hard press to respond, then this might be the reason. Replace the remote in such cases.
If the issue still persists, then it is possible that your remote is defective. We suggest you order a replacement based on your Vizio TV model.
You can also contact Vizio customer care for further assistance. We are sure that they will be able to provide more technical support to help solve the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use my Vizio TV remote to control my cable box?
Yes, if your Vizio TV remote has a component switch, you can use it to control your cable box. Simply switch the component switch to "cable" or "set-top box," and the remote should be able to control your cable box.
Can I replace my Vizio TV remote?
Yes, you can replace your Vizio TV remote by buying a replacement based on your Vizio TV model from the Vizio website or authorized Vizio dealers.
Can I use my Vizio TV remote to access smart TV features?
Yes, if your Vizio TV has smart TV features, you can use the remote to access them. Most Vizio remotes have dedicated buttons for accessing popular apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu.
What is the adequate range between Vizio TV and remote?
Generally, Vizio TV remotes can work within a range of 5 to 30 feet, but the actual range can vary depending on the specific circumstances like the presence of obstacles, electronic interferences, dust on the sensors, and so on
Can I use my smartphone as the remote for my Vizio TV?
Yes, you can use your smartphone as the remote for your Vizio TV by downloading the Vizio SmartCast app from the play store or app store. Note that this feature is not available with all Vizio TV models.
You May Also Enjoy Reading
- Vizio Satellite Speakers Not Working: How to Fix 
- How to Program Xfinity Remote to Vizio TV: Step-By-Step Guide
- How to Program Dish Remote to Vizio TV 
- Vizio TV Sound Delay: How to Fix 
- How to Program DirecTV Remote to Vizio TV: Step-By-Step
- Does My Vizio TV Have SmartCast? Here's How to Check
The comments are closed.