My Kindle has always been the go-to for reading. I personally enjoy the sleek design and the immense library of books it provides, not to mention WhisperSync for listening.
That is why when my WhisperSync feature stopped working out of the blue, I had to find a solution for it.
If your Kindle WhisperSync feature is not working, first, power cycle your Kindle. Make sure that the feature is enabled on your device, and that the title you read supports it. Ensure a strong network connection as well. If the issue persists, factory reset your Kindle.
With that said, let's take a deeper dive into the many fixes to resolve WhisperSync issues on your Kindle.
Ensure WhisperSync is Enabled on Kindle
If you are new to your Kindle device, there is a chance that the WhisperSync feature is not turned on.
WhisperSync is an absolute necessity if you prefer your Kindle to read to you or to seamlessly transition between ebooks.
First, ensure that WhisperSync device synchronization is enabled on your Amazon account.
To enable WhisperSync Device Synchronization on your Amazon account:
- Visit the Amazon official website and log in to your Kindle account.
- Navigate to Manage your Content and Devices section and click on Settings.
- Click on Device synchronization (WhisperSync settings).
- Enable WhisperSync by toggling the button next to it.
To enable the WhisperSync feature on your Kindle:
1. Go to Settings on your Kindle
2. Click on Device Options
3. Click on Advanced options
4. Here, enable the WhisperSync for Books feature
On your kindle android app or Fire tablet, enable the whisper sync feature using these steps:
- Navigate to Settings
- Enable the WhisperSync feature
On iOS devices, follow these steps to enable the whispersync feature:
- Navigate to Settings
- Click on other
- Enable the WhisperSync feature
Once the WhisperSync feature is enabled on your device, check and see if your books are synced across your multiple devices.
Ensure the Title is Supported on Kindle
Even though most popular titles support the WhisperSync feature, there are still some books that have not yet been updated with the feature.
It is always a good idea to see if the books are compatible before excepting auto-synchronization on your reading progress.
To see whether the title you are reading supports WhisperSync:
- Open the book you are reading on your Kindle or app
- In the book’s Table of contents or Settings menu look for any indication related to WhisperSync like “WhisperSync for voice”
- Check for symbols that show a double arrow between a headphone and a book
- If you find such indications or symbols, then your title is WhisperSync compatible
If you don't find any indication related to WhisperSync in the book’s settings or table of content then your title might not support WhisperSync.
In this case, you will have to manually keep track of where you left reading or listening on your multiple devices.
Also, deploying unsupported file types on your Kindle can lead to issues such as Books not showing up on Kindle.
Ensure the Title Supports Audible Narration
If you enjoy listening to books on the go, then you will have to see whether the title you choose supports Audible narration and the WhisperSync feature.
To check whether the title supports Audible narration:
- Open the book on your Kindle or app.
- Go to the product details or book details section where you can see additional details about the book.
- Check whether there is any indication related to audiobooks like Audiobook: Available or WhisperSync for voice ready.
- If you find such indications, then the title supports audible narration.
In this case, you can enjoy switching between reading and listening to the book.
If WhisperSync is also enabled and supported by the title, you can enjoy a smooth transition between reading and listening on multiple devices.
The availability of audible narration depends on the publisher’s decision and the specific edition of the book.
Remove and Re-send the Title to Kindle
Removing and re-sending titles to your Kindle will help refresh content delivery to your Kindle. This will clear any potential errors associated with reading or listening synchronization.
Doing so may also come in handy for software issues such as Send to Kindle failed.
To remove the title from the Kindle device or app:
- Go to the Amazon official website and log in to your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the Accounts & Lists option in the top right corner.
- Click on the Manage Devices and Content option.
- Navigate to the Contents page.
- Locate the title you want to remove and re-send to your Kindle. You can use the search bar or navigate through the pages if necessary.
- Click on the checkbox next to the titles that you want to remove. Multiple titles can be selected
- Once the necessary titles are selected, click on the Actions button located at the top of the list of titles.
- Here, click on Delete or Remove from Device option.
- Click Yes on the confirmation prompt that appears on the screen.
Now, these titles will be removed from your Kindle device and app.
To resend the titles to the Kindle device:
- Connect your Kindle device to the internet.
- Navigate to the device home screen.
- Tap on Sync and check for new items.
- Now, your Kindle will start syncing to your Amazon account. This might take a few minutes.
- Once the synchronization is complete, you will be able to see the titles you removed from your library.
- Click on the titles to download them again.
To resend titles to the Kindle app:
- Connect the device which has the Kindle app to the internet.
- Open the Kindle app.
- Navigate to the Library section. Pull down the screen to refresh and sync to your Amazon account.
- Once refreshed, you will be able to see the titles you removed in your library again.
- Click to download the titles again.
Check and see if the synchronization issue still persists in the title on multiple devices.
Power Cycle Kindle Reader
Power cycling in simple terms means restarting your device. It is the simplest and easiest way to get rid of any bugs and glitches in your Kindle.
Power cycling your Kindle helps it reload its firmware and refresh its connection thereby fixing any temporary freezes or hiccups that occur with the various features such as Kindle application error or Update Your Kindle grayed out.
Power cycling your Kindle will not erase any onboard data. After restarting, your books and settings will be left as they are.
To power cycle your Kindle:
- Press and hold the power button
- Select Restart from the options that appear
Once your Kindle restarts, check and see if the WhisperSync feature works properly again.
You can also perform a hard restart and see if it resolves the issue.
To perform a hard restart:
- Press and hold the power button
- Continue holding the power button for around 40 seconds even after the power dialog box appears or the screen goes blank.
After this, the charge indicator light will turn on and your Kindle will reboot.
Check and see if the WhisperSync feature works properly again.
Check for Network Issues
A stable internet connection is required for your Kindle WhisperSync feature to work properly.
And so, ensure you have a strong internet connection with adequate network speed. Internet speed of at least 1.5 Mbps is recommended for smooth operation.
Make sure you use your Kindle within the range of your router. Obstacles and hard walls can reduce signal strength and reduce connectivity.
If you are using 5 GHz wifi, we recommend you switch to 2.4 GHz. Even though 5 GHz offers greater speed, 2.4 GHz is more reliable and offers a longer range.
Make sure your router is properly connected.
Ensure that the cable connecting to the router is in proper working condition. If the cable is bent or torn in any manner, we suggest you use a newer cable.
Failing to satisfy these conditions can lead to issues such as Kindle WiFi not connecting.
Reboot the Router/Modem
If your router hasn’t been power cycled in a while we suggest you restart it. It will help it refresh its connection and ensure a stronger, more stable, and faster network.
Performing this step is known to yield exceptional results for issues such as Kindle Books stuck on opening.
To power cycle your router or modem:
- Unplug the power cord from the router
- Wait for a couple of minutes
- Plug the power cord back in
- Wait for the router to restart and re-establish its internet connection.
After restarting your router, connect to it again and see if the issue is resolved.
Check the Payment Settings
If you are accessing content that requires a subscription or payment, make sure to keep your payment method updated so as to use the features and books associated with it.
To check and update the payment settings:
- Visit the Amazon official website and log in to your Kindle account
- Navigate to Manage your Content and Devices section and click on Settings
- Tap on the Digital payment settings and then click on Edit your Payment method option
- Here you will be able to view and manage your payment methods. You can see your current default payment method here, add a new payment method or edit already existing ones.
- To edit a payment, click on the option next to the payment method and make the necessary changes
- Once the changes are done, click on the save button to save the changes
Once your payment settings are updated, check whether you are able to use the WhisperSync feature with your paid titles again.
Deregister and Re-register Kindle on Amazon
If the WhisperSync feature still doesn't work across all your devices, you can try de-registering and re-registering your Kindle on your Amazon account.
Deregistering and registering your Kindle will help the device reload its library and clear any reading, synchronization, or otherwise issues such as Kindle Paperwhite keeps restarting.
To de-register your Kindle from your Amazon account:
1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the quick settings
2. Tap on the gear symbol in the top right corner to access the Settings
3. Go to the My Account tab
4. Here click on Deregister
If prompted, click on Deregister again to deregister your device from your Amazon account
After this, re-register your device on your Amazon account.
To re-register your device:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the quick settings
- Tap on the gear symbol in the top right corner to access the Settings
- Go to the My Account tab
- Here tap on Register
- Enter the Email address and password associated with your Amazon account
Your device will now be re-registered on Amazon.
You can also do this process using the Amazon official website.
To Deregister and Re-register your Kindle using Amazon's official website:
- Log in to your Amazon account on your computer
- Go to Amazon’s Manage Your Content and Devices page
- Click on the Devices option
- Click on the Deregister button corresponding to your Kindle
- Restart your Kindle
- Click on the Register button and follow the on-screen instructions to re-register your Kindle
Once you have re-registered your Kindle on your Amazon account, continue using the device as normal and see if the WhisperSync feature works again.
Factory Reset Kindle
If none of the other steps work, try factory resetting your Kindle to solve the WhisperSync feature issue.
Doing so will force the device to reload its firmware as new and clear out any bugs or errors in the system, which may prove useful with issues like Kindle Store unavailable.
Factory resetting your Kindle will clear all its onboard data ( personnel data, books you have downloaded on the device) and will restore the device to factory default settings.
Make sure you have your books synced to the cloud to prevent data loss. The books you have purchased with your Amazon account will still be present but you will have to download them again.
After factory resetting, you will have to log in and register to your Amazon account and wifi again. Make sure you know the password of both of these before you factory reset.
To factory reset your Kindle:
1. Click on the Menu button on your Kindle
2. Go to Settings
3. Click on Device options
4. Click on the Reset and then press Yes to confirm the factory reset
Once the factory reset is complete, log in to your Amazon account again and set up your device. You should be able to use the WhisperSync feature now.
It is also highly probable that the feature issue is caused due to a software glitch that you will be able to solve through an update.
In case the issue still persists, try contacting Amazon customer care. We are sure they will be able to provide more technical insight to help solve your problem.
Amazon support forum is very active and gets updated by users worldwide. We are sure you will be able to find a solution there.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is the WhisperSync feature paid?
No, you can use the WhisperSync feature on your Kindle devices and Kindle app with no additional costs.
Do all books support Kindle WhisperSync?
No, all books do not support the Kindle WhisperSync feature. It will depend on the publisher’s decision and the specific edition of the book. That being said, all major titles support the WhisperSync feature.
Can I read Kindle books on devices other than a Kindle e-reader?
Yes, you can use the Kindle app to read books on other Android and iOS devices.
Can I manually sync my reading progress on a Kindle device?
Yes, you can manually sync your reading progress on a Kindle device by going to the home screen and selecting the Sync & Check for Items option. This forces the device to update and synchronize any changes made on other devices.