Blink provides a fantastic feature called Live View where you can see the live footage from your Blink camera. It is usually limited to the Blink app, but what if you could get it on a TV?
I, like many others before, wondered whether it is possible to view the Blink camera on TV. Here are the different ways to watch your Blink camera on TV:
To view Blink Cameras on TV, especially on Fire TV Platforms, enable the Blink SmartHome skill on an Alexa-enabled Fire TV service. You could also cast the Live View output to a TV using Chromecast on Android or AirPlay on iOS. Alternatively, plug the local storage drive into a TV to view recorded Blink clips.
How to View Blink Camera on Fire TV Devices
Amazon has developed many features to enable seamless integration between their devices. Blink, being an Amazon subsidiary faction, is no different.
Blink cameras have quick and seamless integration with Alexa-enabled devices and Amazon products such as the Fire TV. All you have to do is link these devices and they are ready to go.
To use your Blink camera and Fire TV along with Alexa, you will have to link your devices and enable the respective skills.
Quick reminder - Ensure that the Blink app, Alexa app, and Alexa-enabled devices are updated to the newest firmware. Make sure you are using an Alexa account in any of the supported markets (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, and Germany), and that Kids mode is disabled for your Amazon devices.
Using the Blink SmartHome Alexa skill, you can easily control your Blink system using voice commands. For this:
- Navigate to the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Open Settings.
- Click on Account and Privacy.
- Find and select the Link to Alexa option.
- Click on the Open Alexa App option on the new screen that appears.
- Here under the Blink SmartHome page click on Enable to use.
- On the new page that appears, enter the login credentials to your Account
- Enter the verification code or passcode if prompted.
- Upon successful verification, you will see a message “Your Blink SmarHome account has been successfully linked”.
- Click on Close and you will be automatically sent to the Discover Devices page.
- Once your devices are found, click on the respective devices to set up the devices.
- Enter a passcode if prompted.
Now your cameras are ready to be used with Alexa. If you have trouble accessing Blink Live View on Alexa, go through the above-mentioned steps once more.
To link and use your Amazon Fire TV with Alexa, enable the Amazon Fire TV skill in the Alexa app and link your TV. For this:
- Ensure that both your Fire TV and Alexa are set up and connected to the same Amazon account.
- Open the Alexa App and tap the More option at the bottom right corner.
- Select Skills and games.
- Search for Fire TV using the search bar.
- Locate and select the official Amazon Fire TV skill.
- Click on 'Enable to use' to add the skill to your Alexa Account.
- Once the skill is enabled, click on the Link Devices option.
- Select your Fire TV from the list that appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the linking process.
Now you can access the Blink Camera (or all your Blink Cameras live view at once) on the Alexa-linked Fire TV.
Use Alexa Voice Commands to View Blink Camera
Once your devices are linked to Alexa, you can use voice commands to view your Blink cameras on your Fire TV.
You can use commands such as:
“Alexa, show [camera name] on [Fire TV name]”
“Alexa, show me my Blink cameras”
“Alexa, Ask Blink to get my status”
“Alexa, show [camera name] in picture-in-picture”
To stop seeing the live view from your camera, say:
“Alexa, go home”
You can only see the Live view from your camera on your Fire TV using this method. You cannot watch recorded clips.
Mirror Blink Camera Feed From iOS Devices Using Airplay
Apple iPhones and iPads have a feature called Airplay that lets you mirror your device screen on compatible devices like Apple TV and Apple Airplay-enabled devices.
Ensure that your iPhone or iPad is updated to the newest firmware version and that all your devices have a stable internet connection. iOS 7 or later is required for the feature to work.
Ensure both your iPhone or iPad and your TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
To mirror your screen:
1. Access your device Control Center (Swipe down from the upper right corner or swipe up from the bottom depending on your device firmware)
2. Click on the Airplay icon (a rectangular icon with an arrow pointing up)
3. Select your TV from the list of compatible devices
4. Your device screen should now be visible on the TV
5. To stop screen mirroring, click on the Airplay icon again and click on Stop Mirroring
Once your device screen is mirrored, navigate to the Blink App to access live footage or recorded clips from your Blink camera. Play the footage and you should be able to see them on your TV.
You can watch live footage as well as recorded clips from your camera using this method. And yes, you get audio as well since Blink Cams record audio as well as video in tandem.
Use Chromecast to Cast Blink Camera Feed from Android Devices
The Airplay counterpart on Android devices is Chromecast through which you can stream Blink Live View to a TV.
But nowadays it has simply come to be known as screen casting/mirroring.
Here's how to cast the Blink App on an Android device via Chromecast:
1. Open the Blink app on your device.
2. Now open the Quick Access menu on your device and select the Cast icon.
3. Select the supported TV from the list to enable the cast.
Once your device screen is cast, navigate to the Blink App to access live footage or recorded clips from your Blink camera. Play the footage and you should be able to see them on your TV.
Unlike Chromecast or screen mirroring, the scope of features of Blink on the Android platform is limited. You can't even integrate Blink cams with Google Home, at least through conventional methods.
Using the USB drive from the Sync Module
Blink cameras like Blink Outdoor and Blink Doorbell let you store video clips on a local storage device connected to the Sync module, essentially enabling you to record videos without WiFi.
If you are using local storage to store the recorded clips from your Blink cameras, then you can playback the recorded clips via the storage drive on a TV.
Here's how to do so:
- Unplug the USB drive from the Sync Module.
- Insert the Drive into a USB port of your TV.
- Switch the Source to the USB drive input.
You should now be able to see and play all recorded videos/clips from your Blink camera.
Can I View Blink Camera on Android TV Platforms?
Android TV platforms feature a full-fledged application store that houses a ton of apps, most of which you can find on a conventional Android handheld device.
However, the Blink app might not be directly available for download on Android TV platforms. That being said, you can still sideload the app to view the feed from your Blink cams.
Keep in mind that sideloading the app might not provide the same level of optimized experience as a dedicated app.
Sideloading the Blink app on your Android TV (Nvidia Shield TV for reference):
- Navigate to the Settings app on your TV.
- Select Device Preferences or Device from Settings.
- Navigate to Security and Restrictions.
- Turn on the Install from Unknown Sources option.
- Using the browser on your TV, search and download the Blink App APK file. (Also install a File manager app on your TV in case you don’t have a File manager app already)
- Using the File Manager app, find and install the Blink app on our TV.
Sideloading apps onto your smart TV might not work always due to operating systems and various other security complications.
Once the Blink app is installed, log in to your Blink account to access your cameras. You will now be able to see the live footage and recordings from your camera through the app.
Note: Sideloading apps on smart TVs come with potential security risks, vulnerabilities, and compatibility issues. There is no guarantee that these apps will work, the availability of these apps may also change with software updates.
We recommend you use an official device like an Amazon Fire stick or a compatible Echo Show device to ensure a seamless and secure experience on using the Blink app.
Can I View Blink Camera on PC?
Yes, Blink offers a way to access your Blink camera feed on your PC but not through any conventional means.
Instead, you'll have to resort to Android emulators like BlueStacks to do so.
Here are the many steps involved in getting the Blink app on a PC:
1. Download the BlueStacks app on your PC.
2. Install the app and set it up.
3. Search and install the Blink app.
Log in to the Blink account to access the live view feed of your cams.
Depending on the model of your camera, you should also be able to access other camera features like two-way audio, motion detection, and more.
The full range of features might not be available on PC. For the most comprehensive control and features, consider using the mobile app.
Blink is constantly adding features to enhance user experience and comfort. Even though an Android TV-based application is not available now, this might not be the case in the future.
Keep an eye out on the official Blink website and also on the Blink user forums to know about newer features and additions as soon as they come out.
You can also raise your queries and requests on these platforms and we are sure that Blink will look into it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is there an official Blink application for Samsung and LG smart TVs?
No, there is not an official application for these platforms yet. That being said, you can still sideload the Blink app onto Samsung or LG smart TVs but the compatibility might vary with models and software versions.
Can I share access to my Blink camera feeds with family members?
Yes, you can invite family members to join your Blink account and grant them access to view camera feeds using their own devices.
Are there any subscription fees to watch the live view from Blink cameras?
Usually features like Live View are available for free. More advanced features like cloud storage and extended live view are based on a subscription plan
Can I view my Blink camera feeds remotely when I'm not at home?
Yes, as long as both your viewing device and the Blink cameras are connected to the internet, you can view camera feeds remotely.