Factory resetting is a crucial troubleshooting step, and I have always wondered how I can potentially factory reset my Starlink router and dish.
At first glance, there isn't a power or reset button on the devices for initiating the process.
This got me to put on my research gear and write this article, with the idea being to let every Starlink user know how they can perform a factory reset for their Starlink system.
The Starlink rectangular dish and router can be factory reset by performing power cycles three times, and the mesh nodes can be factory reset by performing power cycles six times. The router of the circular Starlink dish connection has a dedicated reset button.
How to Factory Reset a Rectangular Starlink Dish
Factory resetting your Starlink setup can help in solving any bugs with the system that might be causing troubles with your connection.
It basically wipes out all user data from your router, including the saved credentials for your connected devices.
Factory resetting your Starlink dish can help in establishing a better connection with the Starlink constellations above, in case the current connection has issues.
Do note that factory resetting means you will have to wait for your Starlink to properly calibrate, which might take hours depending on your location, for the most optimal performance.
There are two ways by which you can factory reset your Starlink setup:
Factory Reset Using the Starlink Router
This method requires you to have access to the Starlink router. This is also the recommended way to factory reset your Starlink router.
To factory reset your Starlink router and dish:
- Unplug your Starlink Router from the power socket.
- Keeping the power socket switched on, plug in and unplug your Starlink router consecutively three times, leaving a gap of 3 seconds between each insertion.
- Wait for a few minutes for the router to reboot.
This cycle of power when a device is drained and charged up is called a power cycle, and is a tried and tested method for getting rid of plenty of hardware-related bugs.
This safety factory resets your Starlink router and dish.
Factory Reset Using the Starlink App
If you are on the said firmware or above, you can also factory reset your router from the convenience of your Starlink app by following the steps below:
- Open the Starlink app. Make sure your Starlink status is online and you are connected to the Starlink router's WiFi network.
- Tap on settings.
- Scroll down to the Factory Reset WiFi option.
- Tap on Factory Reset.
As the option describes on the screen, the factory reset option will wipe your WiFi network name, password, and network settings.
You will also be required to set up your WiFi from scratch using your Starlink account.
How to Factory Reset a Starlink Mesh Node
If you have mesh nodes connected, then you will have to individually factory reset them.
Unfortunately, the Starlink app is yet to have the option to do the same via the app, so you will have to follow the conventional method for resetting the nodes.
You can factory reset your Starlink router mesh nodes by following the steps given below:
- Unplug your Starlink mesh node from the power socket.
- Keeping the power socket switched on, plug in and unplug your Starlink mesh node consecutively six times, leaving a gap of 3 seconds between each insertion.
- After the final disconnection, let the mesh node sit idle for about 2 minutes disconnected.
- Wait for a few minutes for the mesh node to reboot.
- When you are asked to connect your mesh nodes, connect the nodes to your primary Starlink router.
Do not connect to the mesh node's Starlink or Stinky network that might appear during the setup.
- Once connected to the Starlink router's network, open the Starlink app on your phone or tablet.
- After a few minutes, you will receive a notification 'Pair Mesh Node' for setting up your mesh node.
How to Factory Reset a Circular Starlink Dish
Starlink in fact included a dedicated reset button on their circular dish that made the whole process much more convenient.
To factory reset your circular Starlink dish setup, follow the steps below:
- Locate the reset button situated on the bottom of your circular Starlink router.
- Press the button for about ten seconds, till a blue light signifies the factory reset process has begun.
If you have further queries regarding the factory reset process, you can contact Starlink support for help.
I hope my article on how to factory reset your Starlink has been a helpful read and has aided you with the same.
Have a good day!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the calibration time for Starlink after installation?
Starlink can take up to 12 hours after initial installation to properly set up its connection with the Starlink constellations above for optimal performance.
Do Starlink dishes require factory resetting on a regular basis?
Starlink dishes only need to be factory reset when in need of troubleshooting a problem with the network. There is no need to reset the system without reason.