As an owner of an LG TV, I wanted to connect my AirPods to my TV.
After dedicating a few hours to doing the research required, I was able to find several ways to do this.
The easiest way to connect Airpods to LG TVs is through the LG sound sync/Bluetooth option on your LG TV. Alternatively, you can use either an Apple TV device, Roku streaming stick, or Firestick to pair your AirPods with the LG TV.
BlinqBlinq is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Connecting Airpods to LG TV Directly
You can connect your AirPods to LG TV via Bluetooth, irrespective of your AirPods version.
Although 1st generation Airpods (launched in 2016) has Bluetooth 4.2 running on them while your LG TV probably has Bluetooth 5.0, they should still work together as Bluetooth 5.0 is backward compatible.
Here are the exact steps to do this.
There might be slight variations depending on the model of your LG TV, however, this should work for most LG TVs.
- On your LG remote, press the settings button and a set of options should pop up on your TV screen.
- Select the "Sound Out" tab and keep clicking to flip through the options.
- Flip through until you see "LG Sound Sync/Bluetooth". You should be able to see the "Device Selection" option underneath.
- Click on "Device Selection" and it will lead you to a window showing paired and available devices.
- Next, you need to put your AirPods in pairing mode.
- To do this, place your AirPods inside your charging case and keep the lid of the charging case open.
- Press the setup button for a few seconds until the indicator light starts flashing white. This indicates that the Airpods are in pairing mode.
- Now you should be able to see your Airpods listed in the available devices tab of your LG TV screen.
- Click on your Airpods (device name) to pair your LG TV with your AirPods.
With that, you will have successfully paired your AirPods to your LG TV.
Now, if you want to go back to using the internal speakers of your LG TV, you can do that quite easily.
- Select the "Sound Out" tab in the settings menu.
- In the "Sound Out" tab select "Internal TV Speaker".
This will change the sound output to the speakers of your TV from your Airpods.
Note that these steps should work for any type of Bluetooth device such as a speaker or headset, and not just Airpods.
Connecting Airpods to LG TV using Apple TV
If you are unable to connect your AirPods directly to your LG TV, then you can use an Apple TV device to act as an intermediary between your TV and your AirPods.
It's natural to confuse the Apple TV hardware device for the Apple TV app available on LG smart TVs.
Here's how you do it:
- The first step is to connect your Apple TV to your LG TV using an HDMI Cable.
- Once Apple TV is connected and set up on your LG TV, you can connect your AirPods to Apple TV.
- If your AirPods and Apple TV are on the same iCloud account (Apple ID), then they should connect automatically.
- If they are not on the same ID, then open the Apple TV app on your LG TV.
- On the Apple TV app go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.
- Press and hold the setup button on your Airpods to turn on pairing mode.
- Now you should be able to see your Airpods listed in your Apple TV app. Tap to connect.
The advantage of using an Apple TV device is the extraordinary Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound experience you get with it.
Connecting Airpods to LG TV using Roku
Another good option for connecting Airpods to LG TVs is Roku Streaming Stick.
With Roku, you can't connect your Airpods directly to it, but you can connect with your phone acting as an intermediary between your Airpods and Roku.
Here's how you do it:
- Plug in Roku device into the HDMI port of your LG TV.
- Next, enter pairing mode on your Airpods and connect it to your phone via Bluetooth.
- Download Roku App on your phone.
- The first part is to connect your Roku Device to the Roku App on your phone.
- On the Roku, App tap Remote > Devices
- The Roku app will ask for confirmation. Tap on OK.
- Next, tap on connect now.
- Roku App will find your Roku Device and you need to select your Roku Device from the list.
- At this point, Roku App and Roku Device are connected and next, you need to connect AirPods to your Roku App.
- Tap on the Remote icon under your Roku Device listing on the Roku app.
- Next tap, the headphones icon > OK.
With that, you'll have successfully connected your AirPods to your LG TV using a Roku streaming device.
The disadvantage to using the Roku streaming stick is that it only streams Audio to Airpods for shows you watch using Roku.
With Roku, you can't use AirPods to listen to live TV on your LG TV.
Connecting AirPods to LG TV using Fire Stick
In my opinion, this should be the last resort as Fire Sticks are not designed to work well with Airpods.
The main problem is that there is no easy way to control the volume you hear on your Airpods when streaming using Fire Stick.
Here's how you can connect your AirPods to LG TV using Fire Stick:
- On your Fire Stick Remote, press settings.
- This will open the settings page on your fire stick app on your LG TV.
- Scroll to the right and select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices
- Enter pairing mode on your AirPods by pressing the setup button on your charging case.
- You should now see your AirPods listed in the devices on your LG TV. Select it.
With that, you have successfully paired your AirPods with LG TVs using Fire Stick.
If you want to control the volume of your AirPods, you'll need to install an app called "Precise Volume" on your Fire Stick by loading its APK.
Without this volume control app, you'll hear full volume when listening on your AirPods.
Sometimes, Airpods like the Airpods Max tend to disconnect frequently from their parent devices, but thankfully it is something that can be easily fixed
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does my LG Smart TV have Bluetooth?
Almost all LG Smart TVs have Bluetooth capability in them. However, a few older LG TV models (pre-2017) do not have Bluetooth features in them. In that case, you need to buy a Bluetooth adapter which you can then plug into your LG TV for Bluetooth capability.
How do I connect my AirPods to my TV without Bluetooth?
If your TV doesn't have Bluetooth built-in, you should buy a Wireless Transmitter or Bluetooth adapter that will let you connect your TV to your AirPods. This is the easiest way to connect with old TVs that don't have Bluetooth capability built-in.