After a long and languid session watching your favorite movie on your Shield TV, a breath of fresh air would be a most welcome thing.
Returning to the couch after the quick break, I always get the same feeling that I got when I took the picture of my dog looking at me from across the room on a hot August evening.
Sure he was young and cute back then (still is), but the screen saver on my screen reminds me of how cute and innocent he was.
This was not always the case as now. In the early stages of Shield TV (back in 2016 and 2017), it didn't support setting up personal photos as screen savers.
To change the Screen saver on your Shield TV, go to Settings> Device Preferences> Display and Sound> Screen Saver. You can also set up custom Shield TV screen savers using the Google Home app on the phone. You could also download several screen-saver applications from the App store right onto your Shield TV.
Here is how you too can change your screen saver according to your preferences.
Changing the Screen Saver (Native) on Shield TV
So you got tired of the same old standard screensaver you see all the time on your TV? Luckily, Shield TV does have the option to change the screen saver to your liking.
Here's how you can change the Screen Saver on Nvidia Shield TV.
1. From the Home screen, click and select Settings.
2. Click on Device Preferences.
3. Then select the Screen saver option.
4. On the next screen, you will be able to change the Screen saver from the available options and also set up the starting time for activating the screen saver (sleep time) among other options.
5. From the Backdrop option, select your desired option.
There you have it, an easy and simple way to change the wallpaper. If you want a more distinguished experience, check below.
Using a Screen Saver App
If you want to have a live wallpaper or want some curated news or the local weather as your Nvidia screen saver, download apps from the Play store that offer the very same services.
From hundreds and hundreds of apps available in the Play store, you are sure to find the perfect Shield screensaver.
Apps like Aerial Dream and Yowindow are among the best-rated on the play store with the former providing Apple-like live screen savers and the latter providing the local weather as screen savers.
You may have to configure the app before setting it up as the screen saver.
Here's how to install and set up a screen saver app:
1. On the Home screen on your Shield TV, clip and open the Play store.
2. Search and type "Screen saver".
3. Click and open the app of your choice from the available apps.
4. On the app page click on Install.
5. Wait for the app to be installed.
6. After the installation is complete, click on Open to launch the app.
7. Follow the onscreen prompts and accept the permissions.
8. After you have completed the setup, go to Home and click on Settings.
9. Click on the Devices Preferences tile and then select Screen Saver.
10. Under the available options, your newly installed app will also be present. Click and select the option.
You have now successfully set up a screen saver app and changed the screen saver on your Shield TV. You can test your new Nvidia screen saver by clicking on the Start now option under the screen saver settings.
Did you know that you could also download emulators and play your childhood games on Shield TV? Check out this article on how to use emulators on Shield TV for more info.
Personalizing your Screen Saver on Shield TV
It's only a matter of time before you grow weary of the available solid color screen savers and the default options.
Luckily, now we can personalize the screen saver on Shield TV. You can now set your Nvidia Shield screensaver with photos, and that too, with Google photos as a screensaver.
You could not always change the Android TV wallpaper unless you use a third-party app like Photo gallery and Screen Saving app available in the Play Store.
Follow these steps to successfully change the screen saver to something intimate and unique:
1. First, open the play store app on your mobile device and download the Google Home app (if you don't have it already).
2. Ater installing the app, open the app and follow the instruction on screen to set up the app.
3. Make sure your Shield TV and the mobile device are connected to the same WiFi network.
4. Your Shield TV should appear on the app under local devices. You can also add your device by clicking the + and the Add new Device.
5. After you have linked the Shield TV with the Google Home app, go to the Screen saver settings on your Shield TV.
6. Make sure you have selected the Ambient option in the Screen saver menu.
7. For sharing your photos, you will need the Google photos app set up on the same account as your Google Home account.
8. If you have both apps linked to the same account, head back to the Google Home app and tap on the Shield TV device.
9. At the top right corner you will find the settings icon, tap on it.
10. Scroll down and then select the Ambient Mode option.
11. Under the Ambient Mode menu, click on the Google Photos option and then set up your photos as your screen saver.
Check whether you are able to make your photos the screen saver of your Shield TV by clicking on Start now option under the Screen saver menu.
Fortunately, this may also answer the question of 'how to change screensavers on Android TV'.
Even if you are casting the photos from your smart device to the Shield TV, sometimes, it can cause problems. Check out this article on Casting issues on the Shield TV for more info.
Common Problems with ScreenSavers on Shield TV
The ever-evolving world of customizations and personalization of your gadgets has become one of the niftiest features of modern-day smart devices.
People always want some form of uniqueness to distinguish themselves from others.
From setting up custom icons for the apps to changing the font and themes to give your device that special look, the modifications available are virtually endless.
Live Screen savers have always been a soothing wave over the bustling activity under it.
From the floating DVD logo to the bubbles that make our home screen a virtual playground, screensavers have made themselves an essential component of our everyday devices.
And that has made them prone to bugs and errors all the more often because of the vast amount options available to customize them.
People have had trouble with the TV screen-saver apps ever since the birth of Shield TV, either from its inherent problems or because of the software itself.
Let's take a look at some of these problems and how to fix them:
Shield TV issues
From a common altered setting issue to an inadvertently pressed button that hinders the popping up of the screen saver, people have reported several issues with the shield TV that foils the screen saver purpose.
Here are some troubleshooting steps to consider if Nvidia Shield Screensavers are not working.
1. Make sure your device is up to date. Running on an older version can cause some bugs that may cause hindrance to the screen saver. Go to Settings> Device> About> System upgrade to update your device.
2. Check if the Developer Options settings have been modified. Under the Developer options setting, there is an option called Stay awake. If it is turned ON, the Screen saver will not appear.
3. Check if any buttons are pressed. An indented button or an off-calibrated joystick (in the case of a controller) may cause commands to be transmitted even while you have not given any. Check if any of the buttons are pressed or not. A more serious reason for this issue may be that the Nvidia Shield remote is not working.
4. Nvidia Shield Flashing white screen. If you see a jarring white flicker before the startup or before the screen saver comes, this is because of a bug associated with the backdrop app on the shield TV. Google has released an update fixing this issue. Check for updates and install them if available.
5. Reset the Device. If the reasons are still unclear, try resetting the device to its factory setting. Go to Settings> Device> Storage & reset> Factory data reset> Factory data reset (confirm)> Erase everything. This erases all your preferences and installed apps.
These are the solutions you can try on your Shield TV, If you're having problems with an app, check the next title.
External App Issues
If you have installed a third-party app onto your Shield TV, you may be susceptible to bugs and issues that haunt these apps every now and then.
Here are some tips to take into account if you are having trouble with a screen-saver app.
- Frequently check for updates. The developers are always putting out updates for the temporal bugs that affect their apps. Make sure you are running on the most latest version of the app. Go to the play store and check for any updates.
- Clearing the Cache. If you are running the app on the latest version and you still have problems with the app, try clearing the cache memory. Go to Settings> Apps> See all apps> "your Screen saver app> Clear cache. This will get rid of any bugs and errors born from an overflowing Cache memory.
- Uninstall and resinstall. Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again after a quick restart of your Shield TV. You will have to set up the app again by following the steps mentioned above (Using a Screen Saver App).
If you still have issues after performing these troubleshooting tips, you'll have to contact the developer and follow their instructions.
Apart from issues affecting the Shield TV itself, some apps, like Plex, also have the ability to project screen savers. In such cases, better check the Plex Screen saver settings and change the screen saver as a possible fix.
You might be interested in these:
A mesmerizing photo that is dear to you can always make your day a little bit more pleasant.
With the help of newer and newer updates and advancements made each and every day, you can view your favorite photos (Android TV custom Screensavers) on each and every screen in your home or elsewhere.
Changing the Nvidia Shield TV wallpaper has also never been easier.
Shield TV provides the very same features that you have always wanted on your TV without much ado.
Try out the various features available in the Google Home app for even more customizations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I rearrange apps on Nvidia Shield?
Follow these steps to rearrange the apps on your Shield TV:
- Press and hold the Select button on your remote until the surrounding menu items fade to grey on the Home Screen
- Use the remote’s arrow keys to move the app into your desired position.
- Press the Select button to place it..
- After you have completed the sorting, press the Home button on the remote to return to the Home screen.
Does Nvidia Shield have ads?
Yes, after an update dating back a few months ago, a major portion of the upper half of your Sheild TV interface is covered by the ads. This has made several users vexed as one of the USPs of the Shield TV was its ad-free experience.
How do I add apps to my favorites on Nvidia Shield?
Here is how you can add an app to your Favorites list:
- From the home screen, navigate and click on the Favorites tab on the right side.
- Then select the + icon.
- From the App drawer menu, click on the app and long-press the Select button on your remote.
- Select "Add to favorites".