Trouble accessing books on your Kindle? Well, you've come to the right place!
Typically, once you purchase a book in the Kindle store, it is saved to the cloud, and within a few hours, gets downloaded to the Kindle device.
But for some odd reason, the books fail to show up, there are a few ways to get around this issue:
If books are not showing up on Kindle, first, check the format of the book. Next, check for network issues and power cycle the Kindle device. If the issue persists, check for pending updates and refresh sync settings. You could also try deregistering and registering your device with Amazon. If none of these work, factory reset your device.
Keep reading for more information on what to do if books are not showing up on your Kindle.
Check the Book Format
Not all books are compatible with your Kindle. To be more specific, not all book formats are supported on a Kindle.
Some Kindle books, especially picture books, read-alongs, and graphic novels are not supported on certain Kindle devices.
You can check this compatibility through the book’s product description on the Kindle store and verify that the book is indeed compatible with your specific Kindle device.
The book format becomes all the more relevant when you are sideloading books that you have not purchased from the Kindle store.
Here is a list of file formats supported on Kindle:
- Amazon KF8 ebook (.azw3)
- Amazon Print Replica ebook (.azw4)
- EPUB ebook (.epub)
- Unprotected PRC ebook (.prc)
- PDF document (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx)
- Rich Text Format document (.rtf)
- Plain Text document (.txt)
- HTML page (.htm, .html)
- JPEG image (.jpg, .jpeg)
- PNG image (.png)
- BMP image (.bmp)
- GIF image (.gif)
If the ebook that you have downloaded is not supported by Kindle, then you can always convert it into a compatible format if the content is not protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM)
Services like Kindle Create, Calibre, or Convertico can convert an unsupported file format into Amazon’s KF8 (.azw3) format.
In 2022, Amazon discontinued MOBI and AZW format support, and instead added EPUB. The files that currently exist as MOBI and AZW files will be converted to KF8 (.azw3) format.
However, these converted files can no longer be emailed to or sent to a Kindle library. EPUB files on the other hand can be emailed or sent to the Kindle library.
These EPUB files on being received will automatically be converted to KF8 files.
Check the Purchase Order
If the book that you have purchased from the Kindle store is not appearing on your Kindle, then it is likely that the purchase order is not complete yet.
You can check if this is the case by checking your Amazon account. To check, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch Amazon.
- Navigate to ‘Account’ and click on ‘Your Orders’.
- Now, select the ‘Digital Orders’ option to see a list of all your orders.
- Check whether the book that you have trouble finding is on this list.
Another check you can do on your Kindle device to locate books that are not available is given below:
- Launch Amazon on your device and log into your ‘Account’.
- Navigate to the ‘All’ option located at the top-left corner of the screen. Tap on ‘Kindle e-Readers and Books’.
- Scroll down to find the ‘Apps and Resources’ section and select ‘Manage your content and devices’.
- Find the book or app that is not downloading and tap on ‘More actions’.
- Now, select the option ‘Deliver the book to your device’ or ‘download the book on your computer’ and later move it to your Kindle using a USB cable.
You could also perform this step if you get stuck opening books on Kindle. Just make sure to delete the book from your Kindle before resending it.
Check for Network Issues
Another potential reason why you are having trouble finding your books are due to network issues.
Make sure that you have Wi-Fi enabled on your device and that you have a functioning network connection.
You can ensure a proper network connection by following these steps:
1. Open the Settings tab and navigate to Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.
2. Then, tap on ‘Wi-Fi Networks’. You can see if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network or not.
3. If connected successfully, you should see a checkmark next to the Wi-Fi SSID (wireless network name).
When connected to a Wi-Fi network, ensure at least two of the three Wi-Fi signal bars are shown as this indicates the strength of the network.
Additionally, using your Kindle with less than 25% battery can also trigger poor network connection. So, make sure you are using your Kindle with a healthy battery level.
You can also try connecting an additional device to your Wi-Fi network to check if your Wi-Fi network is working well.
Turn OFF Airplane Mode on Kindle
Ensuring that the Airplane Mode is turned off on your Kindle is a must-do check since Airplane mode restricts your device from accessing a network.
If the Airplane mode is turned on, you should be able to see a plane icon next to the battery icon on the screen.
If you can see this icon, follow the steps below to access settings to disable Airplane mode:
1. Access ‘All Settings’.
2. Navigate to ‘Wireless’.
Here, you can see if Airplane mode is enabled or not.
Reboot the Router
If you do find that you are having network issues, below are instructions on how to reset your router to restore functionality:
- Unplug your router from the power socket or use the power button if your modem/router has one.
- Wait for at least a minute and plug the router back.
- Let the router/modem initialize for a minute and try connecting your device over the Wi-Fi.
- Check if a power cycle has restored the functionality of your Wi-Fi network.
You could reset the router if you encounter issues like when Kindle Paperwhite becomes slow.
Power Cycle Kindle eReader
Power cycling your Kindle device is a great way to reset the device configurations.
Doing so could help you get the books that you are searching for.
To power cycle your Kindle device, follow the instructions below:
1. Locate the power button on your device. Press and hold the button until the power menu appears.
2. Tap on ‘Restart’. The device should now power cycle.
3. If you have an unresponsive device, you can continue holding the power button for at least 40 seconds for the device to reset automatically.
Check if you can find the books you are looking for.
Check and Update Kindle
You could also be facing this issue as a result of running an older firmware. You can check whether a firmware update is available for your Kindle device.
It is not likely that running an older firmware would cause issues with Kindle books not showing up.
But, keeping your device up to date could fend off most issues like the Kindle not connecting to the store issue.
The Kindle device should notify you when an update is available. But if you use your Kindle in flight mode while reading to conserve battery, you could have missed the notification. (And yes, you can read your Kindle offline)
To check if you have any updates available, follow the steps below:
- From the drop-down menu, go to ‘All Settings’.
- Tap on ‘Device Options’ and select ‘Advanced Options’.
- Now, tap on ‘Update Your Kindle’.
- A pop-up will ask you to confirm your choice to update if an update is available. Tap on ‘Confirm’ to perform the update.
- If you have the latest version of firmware already installed on your Kindle, the option to update the Kindle will be greyed out.
Refresh Sync Settings on Kindle
Kindles have to sync over your Wi-Fi network to incorporate recent purchases into your device.
Make sure that you have enabled the WhisperSync feature of the Kindle. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- Open your Amazon account and go to ‘Manage Your Content and Devices’.
- Select the ‘Preferences’ tab.
- Further, select ‘Device Synchronization (Whispersync Settings)’.
- Confirm that this feature is turned on.
On your Kindle device, you can tap on the sync icon to get your Kindle to sync content to your Kindle.
Additionally, you can also power cycle or reset your Kindle device to get your device to sync the content.
Deregister and Reregister Kindle on Amazon
A potential reason why you are unable to find the books that you are searching for could be that the account on which the purchase was made and the account registered on your Kindle device is different.
You should also check if your card has expired. In such an event, you will have to add your card to your Amazon account once again.
Make sure that you are using the same account for both purchases and registration on the device.
Additionally, deregistering and registering your Kindle device has also brought fruitful results to users who have trouble finding content on their devices and to overcome issues like Kindle keeps restarting.
To deregister your device from your Amazon account, follow the steps below:
1. On your Kindle device, from the home screen, swipe down to open Quick Actions or select ‘Menu’.
2. Now, tap on ‘Settings’ or ‘All Settings’.
3. Go to ‘Your/My Account’ and select ‘Deregister/Deregister Device’.
4. When prompted to confirm, select ‘Deregister’ again to confirm.
Registering your Kindle with your Amazon account allows for the transfer of content you purchase on Amazon to your Kindle.
To register your device to your Amazon account, follow the steps below:
- Sign into your Amazon account and navigate to the ‘Manage your Kindle’ page.
- Click on the ‘Register a Kindle’ link in the ‘Your Kindle Account’ menu.
- Type in your Kindle’s serial number in the indicated field. If you do not know the serial number of your Kindle, you can check the same under ‘Device Info’ in ‘Settings’ on your Kindle device.
- Click on ‘Register’. Your Kindle device is now linked to your Amazon account.
When an e-Book is purchased, it is listed on the ‘Your Content and Devices’ page. If you are unable to download a specific book on your Kindle, it could be because your payment transaction failed.
On your Amazon account, you can access ‘Manage Your Content and Devices’ to look for the Kindle book that you have trouble finding. If you find the book in this list, click on ‘Actions’ and choose ‘Deliver’.
Factory Reset Kindle
If you have gone through every troubleshooting solution mentioned in this article and are still unable to solve the issue, then you should contemplate factory resetting your Kindle.
Keep in mind, factory resetting your Kindle will erase all personalized settings and downloaded content that is not synced to your Amazon account.
A factory reset returns the device to its original factory settings, removing all your personal data, downloaded content, and content that hasn't been synced.
To factory reset your Kindle device, follow the steps below:
1. From the home screen, swipe down to open ‘Quick Actions’ or select ‘Menu’.
2. Select ‘Settings’ or ‘All Settings’.
3. Navigate to ‘Device Options’ or select ‘Menu’.
4. Tap on ‘Reset’. A prompt will ask you to confirm your choice to factory reset. Tap ‘Yes’ to confirm.
When the factory reset is complete, the device will be deregistered from your Amazon account. Register your Kindle to your Amazon account by following the steps given above.
Additionally, it is worthwhile to check if you have enabled any filters to your library view on the Kindle such as documents view which will show only documents and not books.
If any such filters are enabled, you should be able to see them just above your content. You can select the filters icon and select ‘Clear All’ to remove any filters on the library.
If you own or have registered more than one Kindle device to your Amazon account, the purchased book will be automatically downloaded to the designated primary Kindle.
Also, you should also check the storage space on your Kindle device. If your device is running low on storage, try removing some content and download the book to your Kindle again.
If none of the solutions mentioned are working for you, consider contacting the Amazon support team for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for books to show up on Kindle?
Kindle books that are purchased can take up to 72 hours to reflect on your Kindle device.
How do I find downloaded books on my Kindle?
Once you have downloaded a Kindle Book from Amazon to your computer, you can find the e-Book’s file in your downloads folder. Transfer this file from your computer to a compatible Kindle via USB.
How do I see a list of books on my Kindle?
To see a list of all your books, go to your Amazon account and access the ‘Manage Your Content and Devices’ page. You can view books from Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading from the drop-down list.