Being a top-tier home monitoring system, you may think Blink is pretty much error-free. While that's true for the most part, sound issues are a known threat on Blink.
Blink cameras come with an inbuilt microphone to capture audio. It starts recording audio as soon as something triggers its motion sensor.
My Blink camera was working as expected for a long time until it stopped recording sound quite abruptly a few days back. I found a few fixes online that actually worked for me. So I made this troubleshooting guide to help you fix your Blink camera.
To fix sound issues on Blink camera, check and update the firmware. Android 12 is known to host issues with the Blink app, so check for additional Android updates. Next, ensure proper network connectivity. Additionally, check and enable the required app permission. If none of these work, factory reset your Blink camera.
Take a look at this brief account of scenarios by which the sound fails to work on Blink Cams:
|Scenario||Causes and Fixes|
|Blink Cam not recording audio||Check for network issues and ensure the required permission and enabled on your device|
|Cannot hear sound on Android phones||Known issues on Android 12; update your device firmware, power cycle the Cam|
|Audio recorded on clips stored in local storage but not on the app||App-related issue; uninstall the Blink app and reinstall it after refreshing the device|
|Other scenarios||Factory reset the Cam; contact customer support|
Let's now take a deeper dive at the many troubleshooting steps to fix sound issues on Blink camera.
Android 12 has Issues with Blink
If your blink cameras used to work fine and the audio transmitting issue crept up quite recently, it might be due to your host devices' software.
Check whether you recently updated to android 12. System updates could also happen automatically.
There have been voice cracking and muffling issues with the cameras after Smart devices hosting the Blink app have been updated to android 12.
To check whether the system update is really the culprit, try connecting to another device that runs an earlier or newer version of android.
Try talking through it and see whether the person on the other end of the camera is able to hear you.
The same issue may persist with some older iPhones. In the case of iPhones, try using a newer one to check whether it resolves the issue. In both cases, the device software is the issue.
Blink has been working on an update to resolve this issue.
Try updating your device and the Blink app and check whether the problem is solved.
You could also try reporting to blink customer care and they will be able to provide insight into when the problem will be solved.
To talk through a Blink Cam, you should hold down the hold-to-talk button in the app for as long as you want to talk to the person on the other end of the camera.
Check the App Permissions
The blink app requires permission to access the microphone on your device.
And so, It is essential that you enable this permission so that the person on the other end of the camera can hear you talk.
If indeed this permission is disabled, accompanying issues like Blink Cam Speaker not working may also pop up.
To turn on microphone access for:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Apps
- Select the Blink app from the list
- Click on the Microphone option if it is under the Denied list
- If not, enable Microphone access by turning it ON
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down and select the Blink app
- Enable Microphone if in the off state
Now navigate to your blink app and try using the audio features again.
While in the setting tab of the Blink app, you could also enable various other permissions like Photos, Camera, and location. Although, these permission are optional.
Check the Internet Connection
A strong and proper internet connection is required for your blink camera to work properly.
Make sure you have an upload speed of at least 2 Mbps to ensure smooth operation.
Also, ensure that your camera is within the range of your router.
If possible keep your camera within the direct line of sight of your router so as to improve signal strength.
Thick walls and other solid portions may cause network hindrances.
Installing your Blink camera in isolated places such as in the attic or behind a television might cause it to lose signal strength.
You could also try disconnecting other devices from your router to check if it resolves the issue.
Sometimes there is a limit to the number of devices connected to your router at a given time. After ensuring a proper internet connection, try using the audio features again.
Remove the Cam and Reinstall the Blink App
Next, try removing your camera from the blink app and then try adding it again.
Check if this clears the audio issues.
To remove a camera, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Camera Settings icon on the right of the Cam icon in the Blink app.
2. Tap open General Settings and click on Delete Delete.
3. Tap Delete Device to confirm.
Now, add the camera back once again and check whether the audio issue is resolved.
Removing the Cam from the app and re-adding it is an effective fix for resolving feature-related issues such as Photo Capture not working on Blink.
If the issues still persist, try uninstalling and reinstalling the blink app. This will update the app to the latest version and clear its associated cache.
You will have to grant app permissions once again after installing it.
You may want to note down your personalized app settings since once you remove the app and reinstall it,m all of the settings will be reverted to their factory defaults.
After reinstalling, try adding your camera again and check if this resolves the audio issues.
Power Cycle the Blink Camera
A Power cycle test is pretty much a system refresh with an added touch of refreshing the system internals and clearing off any pent-up charges.
Doing so will help the Cam reload its firmware, refresh its connections and help it get rid of any bugs or glitches.
Power cycling your blink camera or the sync module is an easy way through which you can get rid of most of your issues, including the Blink Cam won't connect to the Sync Module issue.
To power cycle your blink camera, remove the batteries if any, and then wait for 10 seconds. Then, put the batteries back in and power ON the Cam.
Select Blink Cams, namely the Blink Mini, require an active wired connection. With such devices, disconnect it for 10 seconds and plug it back in so as to power cycle it.
To remove the battery cover:
- Blink video doorbell: You will need to release the catch to access the batteries. For this insert the opening key into the rear cover slot
- Outdoor and Indoor (Gen 2): Remove the rear cover using a coin or an opening tool
- Blink XT and XT2: Find the grey switch on the device and slide it in the direction of the marked arrow
- Indoor (Gen 1): Release the latch on the back of the camera
You could also try power cycling your sync module.
Here'whow to do so:
- Unplug the sync module
- Wait for 15 seconds
- Now plug the sync module back in. The indicator light will turn blue and then turn green. Your module is now ready to be set up again.
Reset the Blink Camera
If none of the above steps work, you could try resetting your Blink camera.
Resetting the Cam will refresh all its associated settings, obviate any anomalies, and essentially convert the system into its factory state.
Such a fix may come in handy for hardware-associated issues as well, like Blink Camera clicking sound.
To factory reset a Blink Cam, use the reset button to reset your camera. But this is applicable only to the Blink Mini model.
You should reset the sync module instead of the camera for Blink devices that connect to a sync module.
For blink cameras such as the Indoor, Outdoor, XT, and XT2 that connect to a sync module, reset the sync module. Make sure to power cycle the sync module and your WiFi router before you reset it.
To reset the sync module:
1. On the sync module, press and hold the Reset button until the status light turns Red
2. Release the reset button and wait for the status light to turn blue and then green
3. The sync module is now in set-up mode and all cameras connected to it will be offline
4. Now delete the module from the Blink app and set it up again
Tip: Use your fingernail or a paperclip to press the reset button until you hear a slight click. Some sync modules have an opening for the reset button.
The blink mini does not need a sync module to connect to the internet.
For Blink mini:
- Press and hold the Reset button on the bottom side of the camera
- Release the button when the indicator light flashes red and blue rapidly
- The indicator light will then blink a blue light slowly and your camera is ready to be set up again
Performing a factory reset on the blink mini will not reset the camera settings to default. It won't remove the thumbnail image or remove it from a system or a device.
And there you have it, a complete and comprehensive article elaborating on the various fixes to resolve sound issues on Blink Cam.
Blink has an excellent support forum where you can find answers to a number of your queries.
You could also try contacting blink customer care and they will be able to help resolve your issues.
This may come in handy, especially, if you encounter hardware issues with your Blink Cam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does 2-way audio work on Blink cameras?
Blink camera houses an inbuilt microphone and speaker that helps in two-way communication between you and the person on the other end of the camera.
- Navigate to the blink app
- Click on the video button on the bottom left corner of the camera photo
- Press and hold the round microphone icon to speak. Make sure you hold it as long as you want to speak
- Release the button once you are done speaking
Do all Blink cameras support 2-way audio?
No, not all blink cameras support two-way audio. Blink Video Doorbell, Indoor (Gen 2), Outdoor, Mini, and XT2 support two-way audio.
You May Also Enjoy Reading
- Blink Camera Recording Too Fast: How To Fix 
- How Do Blink Cameras Work? We Did the Research 
- Can Two Blink Cameras Record At The Same Time?
- How to Turn off Blink Camera Without App: Easy Way 
- Blink Camera Not Working After Battery Change: How To Fix 
- Blink Local Storage Not Working: How To Fix 
- Blink Camera Failed to Update: How to Fix